Here is a fun science experiment that all kids love….. and no matter how many times a child may have done this one, they are always happy to do it again!
HOW TO MAKE SLIME
You will need….
- two small bowls or cups
- PVA glue (white or clear is fine)
- food colouring (optional)
- Borax* powder.
*You can pick up the borax powder in your local chemist (See note below)
What you do…
- To the first bowl add half a cup of water and half a cup of PVA glue and mix well.
- If you want to make coloured slime add a few drops of food colouring and mix this in well.
- In the other bowl add one teaspoon of borax powder to one cup of water and mix well until all the powder is dissolved!
- Now for the fun bit… pour the borax solution into the PVA/water mix and mix, mix, mix!!! YOU HAVE JUST MADE SLIME!
|This experiment is as fun as it looks!|
If you want to keep your slime just pop it into a Zip-lock bag and seal it and it will be ready for you next time you want some slimey fun!
So what is happening?…
Congratulation… you have just made a polymer!! In simple terms a polymer is a substance made up of lots of molecules arranged in long chains. If you imagine that the glue is like cooked spaghetti, it slides and slips around the place quite easily. When we add the borax to the glue it causes some of the molecules in the glue to stick together making the glue more rubbery and less liquid! Imagine if you took those strands of spaghetti and tied them together in places, the strands would not be able to slip and slide around nearly as much! The borax and glue mixture is just like your knotted spaghetti!
In Ireland you need to buy Borax powder in a pharmacy. The production is a little erratic and the larger volumes are no longer available! You should be able to get this 100g tub in any pharmacy and it costs about €2.25.
UPDATE 2017: Borax powder is no longer as readily available in Ireland. here is one alternative, using very simple ingredients… check out this post on how to make silly putty.
Or check out our Ultimate Slime Guide for lots of fantastic slime recipes using contact lens solution or laundry detergent.