It is a simple and easy Fun Friday experiment today – how to make an ocean in a bottle
All you need for this experiment is…
- an empty clear plastic bottle (a 1 or 2L soft drink bottle will work fine)
- cooking oil (any kind)
- Blue food colouring
- A funnel
What you do…
- Using the funnel fill the plastic bottle about one third full with water
- Add a few drops of food colouring to colour the water blue
- Using the funnel again fill the bottle with the oil (you will notice that the water and oil will quickly settle into two separate layers)
- Close the lid tightly on the bottle and turn the bottle on its side
- The water layer will be on the bottom of the bottle
- If you rock the bottle from side to side you can create a wave like motion of the water, looking just like a little ocean in a bottle; see what kind of waves you can make!
How does it work…
This is a good experiment to explain density
Spring does not officially arrive in the Northern Hemisphere this year until March 20 at 16.47 GMT, the Spring Equinox – but when does Spring start for you?
The Sun FINALLY came out this week. It was a long, long winter and we all needed to feel a
A new week, a new Mystery creature…. this time from the insect world…. do you know what it is called?
If you have ever wondered about the science of pancakes, their history, why they are round or even the formula for the perfect pancake flip then read on!
I know that pancakes Tuesday is late this year but it still seems
My first Mystery Monday on the new blog site and I have decided to make it a fun one ;0)
So here is this week’s Mystery Creature (on the left of picture below)… it is a bear (obviously) but what kind of bear???
(Or just check out the